For those who cherish their independence, still want to live on their own but have access to hospitality services and 24 hr support, Assisted Living may be the best option. Strive Living Society’s Assisted Living provides hospitality and personal assistance services to young adults with physical disabilities.
Liberty Place (East Burnaby) and Freedom Place (North Surrey) each have 20 – self-contained one bedroom fully accessible units complete with bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen. Each building is formed by a community of independent tenants who can direct their own care, and require minimal support at key times throughout the day from a team of care aides, hospitality staff, and nurses.
How Much is the Monthly Rent and What Services are Included?
Assisted Living units are funded under the Province of BC’s Independent Living BC Program (ILBC). For tenants, the cost of monthly rent is 70% of after tax income. The remainder is subsidized by the Province of BC.
- Unfurnished private suite with lockable door
- Three nutritious meals a day in the main dining room as well as daily snacks
- Weekly housekeeping and flat laundry service (linens and towels)
- Use of common amenity space and recreational opportunities
- 24-hour emergency call system & staff coverage to provide assistance to tenants
- Staff assistance with activities of daily living (dressing, grooming, mobility, etc.)
- Staff assistance with medication management
Are There Any Additional Expenses?
Extra costs not included in the rent:
- Damage deposit
- Personal furnishings
- In suite telephone, television cable, or internet charges
- Personal grooming supplies/hair dressing services
- Transportation to and from activities or appointments
- PharmaCare premiums and deductibles
- Medications not covered by PharmaCare
- Health equipment not covered by extended benefits
- Personal items such as dry-cleaning, newspaper and magazines
- Personal laundry (coin operated machines are available on each floor)
- Tenant Insurance
- Guest meals and additional housekeeping/laundry
- Extra keys and fobs
How to Apply to Move into Assisted Living:
Individuals interested in moving into Assisted Living must be referred through a Fraser Health case manager. Current clients of Home Health services, should discuss care needs with the case manager and they provide assistance to determine whether Assisted Living is the best option.
Those who are not current Home Health clients will need to be assessed by a case manager. Contact the local Home Health Office to request an assessment.
| New Westminster
| Maple Ridge
| Surrey, Delta, Langley, White Rock
For more information about Assisted Living, please contact the Assisted Living Program Manager.
Choice, Privacy, Independence, Individuality, Dignity, and Respect.